Thursday, August 04, 2005

Freelance Work

First, some background: I work in the Art Dept of a large awards manufacturer. For the last several years I have been trying to get work as a comic book artist. I've had several starts, but nothing has been published as most of the deals seem to fall apart after I draw the book. No big deal, I've realized that's what happens in the small press sometimes.

While I'm waiting for my big break, I am working on my art by drawing a webcomic (Check it out at www.firstplanetcomics.com . So between working 40 hours and drawing a webcomic I have no free time.

So this week I get 2 people calling me about designing t-shirts for them.

No big deal and I don't really mind. Several years ago I did a lot of freelance work, but at one point I decided I would never get into comics if I didn't cut out alot of 'extra' stuff. I kind of feel guilty because my comic 'career' tends to eat up time and money.

Luckily, Michelle is cool and understanding. But sometimes I think I should be using my free time to make money!

My dream situation would be to be working on a comic and somehow be able to parlay that into doing cool freelance work, like designing character or illustrations. I'm not the kind of person to sit around watching TV at night even when I get a cool comics gig and don't have to 'practice' in my spare time.

Bad part is I know I could make a fortune doing murals, but I hate doing them. And people always want me to do them! Of course, the last guy who asked me told me he would cook me supper if I painted this huge mural on his kids wall! I hang out with cheap people!

Of course, I seem to do a lot of that kind of thing for my church, which I don't mind* since I can't sing and art is my only talent I can use for the church. So it's cool, but I HAVE NO SPARE TIME.

*For the record I would NEVER dream of charging the church for anything I do for them. I believe my talent and any future sucess comes from God ( see Exodus 35: 30-35) and any way He choses to use my talents (such as they are) for Him is a blessing.

No comments: