Friday, November 30, 2007

RIP Evel Knievel

Iconic daredevil Evel Knievel dies at 69
By MITCH STACY, Associated Press Writer
CLEARWATER, Fla. - Evel Knievel, the red-white-and-blue-spangled motorcycle daredevil whose jumps over crazy obstacles including Greyhound buses, live sharks and Idaho's Snake River Canyon made him an international icon in the 1970s, died Friday. He was 69.


**************************************************

Having grown up in the '70s, Evel was one of my heros when I was a kid. I still remember seeing him jump on ABC's Wide World of Sports.



While Evel may have been a drug-using, womanizing, boozer-thug, he was constantly aware of being a role-model and he was always throwing out inspirational sayings.



This is one of my favorite: A man can fail many times, but he's never a failure unless he stops trying.



One thing I miss from my childhood is the sense of rugged individualism we had back in the '70s. Nobody embodied that more then Evel Knievel.



1 comment:

D. L. Nelson said...

It's to bad about Evel. The 70's were all about Elvis, Evel and Sasquatch. All larger than life. Oh and that dead cow thing with no blood found at the site.

K.R.C.